Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Distractibles

"What do you do?" is a common question I get. For some reason, I always struggle with my response. "Well, I am an education therapist...uh...basically I work with kids with learning disabilities...I help them to get caught up...um, yeah..." After I make it through my wobbly explanation and any follow-up questioning, the usual response is, "Oh, that must be difficult work; you must have a lot of patience." Most days, I don't know if I agree with this conclusion. Yes, I am challenged each day, but my personality is well suited for my work. I love what I do...on most days. Today, however, is a different story.

Today, I wished that I worked at Del Taco and assembled tacos for a living. Oh, the simplicity of taco assembly. No complicated kids, wacky parents, bulging in boxes or lesson plans. Just me and the taco.

Dan referred to my students yesterday as "The Distractibles," like they were some race of super heroes. I laughed out loud, as his label was appropriately given; not only do I work with some amazing kids, but many of them have been diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, Tourette's, and the like. Getting them to focus, even in a one-on-one situation can be a challenge. They struggle to get through the daily rigors of academia, and I am their coach. Cheering them on and doing my best to build into them strategies that can help ease their struggle.

But Coach Angel is tired today. It is just one of those days where I am wondering if I am doing any good. I about lost it when I had to explain supplementary angles for the umpteenth time. "Point to the angle. You can do it. No, that is a vertical angle. Remember that supplementary angles form a straight line. Where do you see a straight line...no that is a right angle." Ahhh...

I am so glad how God designed the 24 hour day. There are days when 24 hours doesn't seem to cut it, but on days like today, it is a relief to know today will soon come to a close. After a good night's rest, I am hopeful that tomorrow will mark a new beginning for me and my little kiddos. Yes, tacos might be less complicated, but when I really think about it, a tough day wouldn't be nearly enough for me to give up my front row seat--a seat that allows me into the lives of my incredible Distractibles.

1 comment:

MEGAN said...

Rough day for you made ME LAUGH!!!!!!!

We all have our moments Angel. I'm sure you make a difference in their lives!